Fausto Sanchez is a founding partner of Sanchez Fischer Levine, LLP, and is based out of the firm’s Miami office. His practice is focused in the areas of complex commercial litigation and international arbitration, on both the trial and appellate levels. An experienced trial lawyer, Fausto represents well-known corporate entities, private U.S. citizens, and foreign parties in U.S.-based business disputes, including matters involving breach of contract, fraud, and deceptive trade practices. Many of his international clients include European and Latin American businesses.
As a Board Certified Specialist in Criminal Trial Law and former prosecutor, Fausto’s practice also includes white-collar criminal defense, where he litigates on behalf of corporate entities and individuals under criminal investigation, as well as in federal or state criminal prosecutions. He is a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist, and frequently advises clients on compliance matters, including issues relating to OFAC economic sanctions. Fausto’s criminal practice also includes representing individuals convicted of crimes on appeal. As a prosecutor, Fausto handled thousands of criminal cases and dozens of jury trials for the State of Florida, ranging from elaborate economic crimes to violent first-degree felonies. He now wields that valuable and extensive trial experience not only in the criminal defense arena, but also for the benefit of all of his commercial litigation and international arbitration clients.
Prior to founding Sanchez Fischer Levine, Fausto was a partner at a prominent international litigation firm, handling complex, cross-border commercial disputes on behalf of foreign governments, multi-national corporations, small businesses, and private citizens. He successfully represented numerous corporate entities in U.S. litigation, including dozens of American auto dealers in a mass action lawsuit against a major Indian automotive conglomerate.
Fausto has also represented professional athletes in contract negotiations with NFL organizations, and currently represents active and retired professional athletes, as well as their businesses, in civil and criminal litigation matters.
Fausto is an AV-rated Preeminent Attorney with Martindale-Hubbell. He currently serves Deputy Regional President and Member of the Board of Directors for Region VIII of the Hispanic National Bar Association, and as a Vice-Chair for the American Bar Association’s International Ethics Committee. He has been recognized by various legal publications for his professional achievements to date.
Fausto nació en Miami, es Cubano-Americano, y habla español.
- Represented 30 American auto dealerships located in 17 different states against Indian automotive conglomerate in multimillion dollar federal and state court mass action litigation for fraud and violation of various “Dealer Day in Court” statutes.
- Represented Costa Rican investment funds in Delaware litigation brought by former investor, twice obtaining dismissal of all claims brought against clients.
- Represented Brazilian-based gaming company in contractual dispute with vendor.
- Represented Venezuelan individual in U.S. lawsuit for fraud and breach of contract against former business associate.
- Represented U.S. construction and engineering company in lawsuit for violations of FLSA and Florida’s Whistleblower Act.
- Represented owner of condo unit in pre-suit resolution of dispute with insurance carrier over failure to cover damages caused by fire.
- Represented Venezuelan business man in defamation action against U.S. television broadcasting company for the publication of false information.
- Represented Miami-Dade Police Officer in appeal of criminal conviction for DUI on basis of prosecution’s improper burden shifting during closing argument. Obtained reversal of conviction on appeal.
- Represented Cuban immigrant and U.S. resident, pro bono, in vacating an 18-year old felony conviction at trial court to avoid client’s deportation, although the trial court’s ruling was subsequently overturned on appeal.
- Conducted internal investigation for Central American agricultural corporate group to discover inappropriate, unauthorized and criminal employee conduct.
- Conducted internal investigation for a Brazilian gaming company to discover internal theft, embezzlement, and misappropriation of corporate funds.
- Represented multiple Central and South American entities and their individual owners in federal criminal investigations for money laundering and other economic crimes.
- Represented the State of Florida in over three thousand criminal cases, including 47 jury trials in Broward County, Florida.
- Represented individuals listed on OFAC’s SDN and SDNT lists.
- Represented corporate entities subject to secondary sanctions as a result of ongoing and preexisting business with individuals sanctioned by OFAC. Assisted clients in obtaining licenses to wind down operations, as well as obtained interpretive guidance to determine appropriate course of action to avoid secondary sanctions.
- Represented NFL athlete in pre-suit contract dispute against NFL organization.
- Represented former NFL athlete in criminal prosecution in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Represented current MLB athlete in civil litigation in Miami, Florida.
- Represented professional football players in contract and employment negotiations with NFL organizations.
- J.D., Nova Southeastern University, Shepherd Broad Law Center (2010)
- Law Review
- Moot Court
- Nova Trial Association
- B.S., Political Science, Florida State University (2006)
- Fernando Villa v. State of Florida, Appellate Case No.:14-222 AC (Fla., 11th Cir. 2015) (reversing conviction of DUI of police officer on basis of impermissible burden shifting by the prosecution).
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Deputy Regional President – Region VIII (Florida) (2018-2019)
- American Bar Association
- Section of International Law – Vice-Chair International Ethics Committee (2018-2019)
- Board Certified Specialist in Criminal Trial Law – Florida Bar (2016)
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist – ACAMS (2016)
- Certified Contract Advisor – NFL Players’ Association (2015)
- Speaker, “§ 1782 Proceedings: Providing Foreign Attorneys with United States Federal Court Assistance in Gathering Evidence,” Webinar, Miami (Virtual), April 29, 2020.
- Speaker, “Digital Currency – The Ethical Considerations for Accepting Cryptocurrency as Payment for Legal Services,” ABA International Law Section Conference, Washington D.C., April 2019.
- Speaker, “Superstars of Trial,” American Inns of Court, Miami, Florida, September 2018.
- Quoted, NRA, Republicans Refute GOP Sheriff’s Stand-Your-Ground Claims, https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2018/07/30/nra-republicans-refute-gop-sheriffs-stand-your-ground-claims-534054, Politico, July 30, 2018.
- Speaker, “Mitos y Realidades de la Lista Clinton (Myths and Realities of the [OFAC] List),” Diaz, Reus & Targ’s Economic Sanctions Presentation, Bogota, Colombia, 2018.
- Quoted, DUI Conviction of Former Miami-Dade Police Officer Reversed on Appeal, https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/dui-conviction-of-former-miami-dade-poli-75168/, JD Supra, December 31, 2015.
- Author, How Will Lawsuits Targeting Banks Affect Brazil’s Economy?, Interamerican Dialogue’s Latin American Advisor | Financial Services, November 11, 2013.
- “Rising Star” – Florida Super Lawyers (2017 – 2021)
- “Florida Legal Elite Up & Comer” – Florida Trend Magazine (2021)
- “Top Lawyer Under 40” – Hispanic National Bar Association (2020)
- “Top Up & Comer in Law” – South Florida Business & Wealth Magazine (2019)
- “Top Up & Comer” – South Florida Legal Guide (2019)
- “On the Rise Attorney” – Daily Business Review (2018)
- AV-Rated Preeminent Attorney – Martindale-Hubbell (2017)